Sunday, February 8, 2015


New Vaughn Goalie Skates REVIEW


I received my new Vaughn GX1 goal skates about 2 months ago and I am thrilled to say "I LOVE THEM". 

A little background, I have 'bad feet'. I have worn the same Bauer 5000's for a very long time now. This is because everything else kills my feet. I have had several new models and have not been able to wear anything because they just did not fit, so the old 5000's keep coming back out.

The new Vaughn's felt great right out of the box, no heating, just wore them. The only issue was the higher heel collar,, caused a blister above my ankle bone, so I had to deal with that, but he actual boot was comfortable from the first skate in them - which was 4 hours!

All skates will offer protection, but these are incredibly lightweight, the cowling works well with my Velocity pads and the wider lace system feels great. But the big factor in buying a goalie skate is always comfort and these have it hands down.

Anyone wants to ask me anything specific I am happy to answer.

Just to keep everything in the open, Vaughn is a sponsor of our Goalie Schools, however I would never allow that to influence my comments. My track record will prove that, but it's best to keep everything up front.

1 comment:

Matthias Blum said...

Hi there,
I wanted to ask your advice on the Vaughn GX3 senior goalie skate.
Vaughn is not so known for skates, but came across the GX3 and something tells me, that these could be the right model for me. I like there athletic look.
I currently play an old Bauer Reactor 6000. There is nothing bad about them but I feel they are a bit too large and given they are quite worn I m constantly looking about new skates. I tried the new Bauers vapor and supreme, as well as CCM tacks. Most of them arenfine, but none of them really convinced me, also given their high price. I have very wide forefoot, so normally I take a EE fit, which the Vaughn's unfortunately do not offer.
I play beer league, howeever shots can be hard, as their are some players who played a much higher, up to semiprofessional level before.
With the Bauer I sometimes felt hard shots quite painfully even given they have cowlings too.
I play hybrid style, love to skate and I m looking for a simple, easy-fit rather soft skate that allows best mobility.
- can you recommend the GX3?
- which size would you recommend me, I wear 44,5 Eur size with normal shoes, the Bauer reactor is 9,5 or 10.
- compared to the cowling less models, does it still allow good butterfly recovery pushes? With the Bauer I have to lift my knee quite highly, and I often slip when pushing. So I was eager to buy a cowling-less model, but as said, so far not found any really convincing.

Thanks a lot for you advice.
Highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Matthias Blum
matthewblums@hotmail.com
Zurich, Switzerland